Monday, February 18, 2008

Aby’s Got a Brand New Hairdo

Today the opposite of tomato is ‘White Bread Black Beer’

The photograph of a snow-covered statue of Abraham Lincoln appealed as source material particularly for the opportunity it presented of transcribing a subtle range of gently modulated tones & its ‘minimalist’ white appearance, plus the fact that already there are few layers of representation going on…


graphite: 20x30cm
original source: ‘The Guardian’ 30/01/08

Soundtrack:

In particular listening for the first time since last year to Scritti Politti’s ‘White Bread Black Beer’, which on a beautiful, clear, crisp, sunny day (for which we’ve actually been quite spoilt this past week) sounded perfect, creating just the right ambience, with promises of spring & summer in its sound, mostly quite light & floaty without being insubstantial, lots of the songs sound almost like sketches or ideas for songs, with all sorts of little bits thrown into the mix & tacked on, & it‘s delightfully informal & intimate for such an approach. And above all, filled with irresistible tunes & the gorgeous, honeyed harmonies of Green Gartside‘s voice. Love the CD packaging too, really original, with a design appearing like a denim, felt & stitching effect, very tactile.


2 comments:

miss milki said...

Hi!Thanks for your very kind comment on my blog! I'm glad you stumbled across my blog because The Opposite of Tomato looks like an great read.

Just from what I've read The Project creating drawings from photos in the media look really interesting.I love that you tell us what music you were listening to at the time too! And its really great to see you refrencing other artists and art history. I find that particularly interesting because as much as I love art and art history I didn't do it in college so all my art history 'education' is happening now! Thanks!

James Rowley said...

Hi & thank you in turn for your kind comment.

The music is generally essential accompaniment to the drawing process & last week in particular, able for a change to work long hours at the drawings, it became interesting to measure that process in terms of music listened-to, almost like a diary-within-a-diary.

I do enjoy & try to make a point of referencing other artists & their work, it's as much a personal education, but I think a large part of such contextualizing is just a hangover from college - having been through the experience, I don't think I'll ever be able to properly 'leave'!